I’m a Toronto-based web designer who loves what I do – I enjoy coding, designing, typography, photography and writing. I’ve been designing websites since 2001, when my second son was in kindergarten in Massachusetts and I became frustrated with the complete lack of usability of our school district’s websites. At the time, they were run by a handful of staff members, none of whom had adequate time or training to do a good job. I’d been doing desktop publishing and figured I’d dive in and teach myself web design.
I started off with the Kindergarten website, and managed to impress the superintendent enough that I eventually ended up doing the sites for the district, the elementary school my sons attended, the middle school, the high school and several other sites within the district, as well as overseeing the other elementary school sites. I did this as a volunteer – often working 25 hours a week or more. When I moved back to Canada in 2007, they hired someone in a half-time position to replace me.
Over the years, I started to acquire a number of paying clients of all sorts, designing websites for educational organizations, non-profits, a community newspaper, small businesses, churches, musicians, and a restaurant, and have also continued doing volunteer work for community organizations.
When I started out, WordPress didn’t exist and most sites were static HTML sites; in many ways I’m glad that I began back then, as it forced me to learn HTML and CSS, which now enables me to truly customize WordPress designs for clients. And yes – if you want a static HTML site, I can do that for you too!
Good site content is extremely important, and I can help you with that. Not only do you want to make sure that your site can be found via Google and other search engines, which means making sure that your content is relevant and well-written, but you also want to make sure that your visitors can navigate your site easily once they get there. It’s no good having a gorgeous-looking website if nobody can find what they’re looking for! I can help you focus on what you want to communicate, whether it’s today’s dinner menu or the latest news story. Writing, editing and photography are all skills I can offer if required.
- 2001-present: freelance web design
- 1999-present: desktop publishing (newsletters, yearbooks)
- 2004-2006: Layout, writing and copy editing of special sections at The Eagle Tribune (Lawrence, MA)
- 1980-1991: practicing Landscape Architect in Toronto (Paul Ferris and Associates)
- 1980: University of Toronto Bachelor of Landscape Architecture
- 1999-2001: Co-president and treasurer, Franklin School PTO, North Andover, MA
- 2002: Designer Selection Committee (proposed elementary school, North Andover, MA)
- 2002-2007: Taxpayers United for the Future in North Andover, MA (founding member)
- 2007-2009: Yearbook editor and webmaster, Northlea Elementary School, Toronto
- 2009-2014: Vice-president and president, North Leaside Women’s Group
- 2012: Communications, Leaside Unite
- 2012-present: Board member, Leaside Property Owners’ Association